Types of Membership
The Society has six categories of membership. Before applying to become an SBNS Member please ensure that you apply for the correct membership type by checking the table below:
Consultant or Non Consultant Career Grade Neurosurgeons who are, or have been, in active NHS practice and are subject to the current NHS style appraisal/revalidation process.
Neurosurgeons in training in the UK and Republic of Ireland. After a consultant appointment membership will automatically change to Full.
Neurosurgeons in active practice abroad
Open to anyone with an interest in Neurosurgery
Previous full members who have retired and are no longer in active practice
Awarded by the SBNS Council to Neurosurgeons abroad and non-neurosurgeons in the UK who have made a significant contribution to British Neurosurgery
* per annum
- All members are invited to attend and contribute to the Society’s biannual Scientific Meetings at a reduced registration rate dependent on their membership status
- All members will have their own login to the SBNS website which will allow access in accordance with their membership status
- All members receive copies of the Society’s biannual newsletter
- All members will receive access to the Ebrain online learning system
- All Members recieve online access to the British Journal of Neurosurgery and The Journal of Neurosurgery as part of their subscription fee
- Full Members have voting rights and can be an elected member of the SBNS Council and or Sub-Committees
- Full Members are invited to attend the biannual Business Meetings and to have access to the minutes of Business, Council and Sub-Committee Meetings and the reports and publications produced by the Society via the Website
- To remain in good standing with the Society, Full and Associate members are required to log CPD activity through the E-Logbook via the Society’s website.
Occassional special offers for members
- Annual Membership Fees are payable on the 15th January each year
- If your membership fee is outstanding you will be automatically locked out of the website until payment has been made
- Payment options are by Direct Debit or by Credit Card via the website if you are unable to pay by Direct Debit. Please contact the SBNS office for instructions.
- Membership shall be automatically forfeited if no subscription has been paid for two years after appropriate reminders.
New Membership Applications
Applications can only be made via the SBNS website by filling in the appropriate online application form, requirements for application are as follows:
Full Member application: Payment card details
Associate Member application: Your current CV, 1 reference from a full member of the Society and payment card details
Affiliate Member application: Your current CV, 1 reference from a full member of the Society or your course director and payment card details
International Member application: Your current CV, 1 reference from your National Society or Medical Director and payment card details
- References should be signed letters, preferably on headed note paper, which can be scaned and uploaded when completing your online application
- Credit/ Debit Card/ Bank Details for payment – Payment is required on application
Click on the relevant application form below to apply:
Changing Membership Status
For membership status changes e.g. Associate – Full membership you can log into your online profile and click on the upgrade your membership button or email Alix Gordon on firstname.lastname@example.org. CV’s and references are not required.
All applications for membership/change of status have to be approved by the SBNS Council at one of the four meetings held per year. Please check the Council Meetings dates on the Committees Page. Applications need to be submitted at least two weeks before a Council Meeting or they will be added to the approvals list for the following meeting.
Your application is then put forward for ratification by the membership at the following Business Meeting these are held at the SBNS Spring and Autumn Meetings each year.
Please note: Membership of the society is not a right but a privilege. Members who are temporarily or permanently suspended from the medical register (or similar responsible body) will automatically forfeit their membership. Suspension will be recorded in the minutes of council. Subscriptions are renewed on the 15th of January each year.
For membership queries please contact the SBNS Membership Administrator: email@example.com